Layers. Transparency

Transparency is all around my environment when I dive. The windows that I stare out of during my backwards and inwards dives are transparent and allow me to see into the SLUG garden. The hot water bucket is full of transparent water that allows me to find my colorful shammy when it sinks to the bottom. The pool is full of transparent water that allows me to see the tiles at the bottom. However, “no material is wholly transparent. Ripples disturb the transparency of water, while air becomes thick with smoke or haze” (Lupton & Phillips 156). The water in the pool is transparent since you can see through it to the bottom of the pool in a “looking through” effect, but it is also reflective. 

Regarding layering, “working with a layered file, the designer quickly creates variations of a single design by turning layers on and off” (Lupton & Phillips 141). I chose to take pictures of one of my teammate's dives and then I layered two of the images over each other in order to see both aspects of the dive in one image since “layers are simultaneous, overlapping components of an image or sequence” (Lupton & Phillips 141). I love this idea because diving is not focused on only the beginning or the end. Instead, each aspect of body position within the dive affects every other part of the dive. For example, the dive could go over at the end and be unsuccessful if head-position is altered in just the slightest way when taking off from the board. 


https://www.instagram.com/art.ofmovement/


Photo taken at Lawrence University pool. Image represents layering. 
Photo taken at Lawrence University pool. Water in pool represents transparency.  
Photo taken at Lawrence University pool. Water in pool represents transparency.  


Lupton, Ellen. Graphic Design: the New Basics. 2015. 

Comments

  1. Love the way you incorporated transparency to the water you swim in! The ripples also create a unique opaqueness to the pictures! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way you layered in your first image gives the photo such a cool effect! It kind of reminds me of how the world looks when it's spinning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts