My World

My name is Maddy Smith and I am a junior at Lawrence University studying biology on a pre-med track. I am from Oshkosh, Wisconsin, however, I am currently living on campus. 

I am involved with the swim & dive team at Lawrence mainly as a diver. Being an athlete, exercise and movement have been a crucial part of coping with stress and uncertainty related to covid-19. Since most pools and diving facilities have been closed since the beginning of this past spring, I have taken up running and walking my dog to exercise.

 

When I think of art the first thing that comes to my mind is movement. One of my first real experiences with perceiving movement and motion as art was during my freshman year when I was given the opportunity to dive in Lawrence’s Breathe- a multi-disciplinary water opera. I had never been involved with any sort of performance like this and to be honest when I first started practicing for the show, I thought the performance was very strange. I thought the idea of diving off of a three-meter springboard, wearing a gold leotard, with my hair down, in the dark, with a bright spotlight on me was the most absurd and terrifying thing that I could be asked to do. Don’t get me wrong, it was absolutely terrifying, but it was so amazing to combine both natural and performative movements to create a show for others, while doing something that I am so passionate about. 


Diving during Breathe performance. Photo courtesy of  Paul Wilke.  

Diving during meet at Lawrence pool. Photo courtesy of  Paul Wilke. 

Diving during Breathe performance. Photo courtesy of  Paul Wilke. 




Comments

  1. wow the diving photos are incredible! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photos from the Breathe performance. Movement is such a dynamic art form that I'm happy you found a way to cope with COVID-19 with it by walking your dog and running. I hope you're able to dive soon and live your best life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts